Can't stand the heat? Exercise indoors.
As the summer heat rises, don’t use the temperature as your excuse to slack on your fitness plan. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, adults should exercise at least 30 minutes a day, a minimum of five days per week, preferably seven days a week. If you can’t spare 30 minutes a day, try to break it up throughout your day and week. Do blocks of 10 minutes or more of moderate exercise throughout your day to work up to the 30-minute goal.
Here are some ideas on how to fit in short bursts of indoor activity:
- Use an exercise DVD for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning
- and in the evening.
- Turn up the music and dance while you vacuum.
- Give the kitchen floor a good scrubbing.
- Go shopping and do some mall walking.
- Utilize indoor walking paths.
- Take the stairs whenever possible.